Monday, May 21, 2012

Shanghai Wonderful

I love Shanghai food. There aren’t many good restaurants in town, but Shanghai Wonderful is definitely one of them. I have been here many times over the past few years and it has been consistently serving good food; a very solid restaurant. I like Shanghai Wonderful because of the flavourful yum-tum food with plenty of quality ingredients.

In terms of service, all the Shanghai restaurants are equivalent. For those who never been to a Chinese restaurant, please keep in mind that the only positive in these restaurants are efficiency. Unless you are a regular, no conversations will be generated; simply because the waiters have no time to spare for a decent conversation. My review on most Chinese restaurants is solely dependent on how well the food taste. 

Chicken with Wine Sauce 花雕走地雞 ($10.95)
This free range chicken is soaked in rice wine sauce. The flavour of the rice wine is actually quite strong. My sister didn’t really like it because it was too rich for her. I would not recommend this dish if your palate have not accustom to the rice wine flavour. This chicken itself is cooked really well. It has been soaked in rice wine sauce for hours, so you do not need to dip it in the sauce provided.

Seafood Hot and Sour Soup 海鮮酸辣湯 ($9.95)
Delicious. The soup itself is made of spicy oil sauce and vinegar to create the hot and sour flavour. The highlight of this soup is the amount of ingredients they used. Very rare do you find a restaurant using this much seafood in their soup. Many cheap out and just fill it up with liquid and tofu. I prefer Shanghai Wonderful version of this soup because it is quite mild; a very good appetizer.

Fried Sliced Roll 炸銀絲卷 ($2.95)
A classic favourite. Instead of eating rice, this bread will sometimes be eaten as substitute for the intake of carbohydrate. Inside is very soft with layers. It comes with a sweetened condensed milk on the side. For a healthier option, it also comes steamed.

Fried Shanghai Thick Noodle 上海粗炒麵 ($10.95)
Similar to many fried noodle dishes, it is a bit on the greasy side. Not too strong in soy sauce flavour. I like how it uses a lot of spinach and siu choi, so that it provides moisture to the dry noodles and meat. This is a popular dish, a very simple dish actually, but it stands out amongst other restaurants. It is difficult to ensure the flavour of the noodles, yet not going over greasy. I will rate this above average.

Shanghai Style Juicy Pork Buns 上海小籠飽 ($5.25)
Lastly, the ‘siu long bao’.  I love these juicy siu long bao! The entire bun is filled with soup. It is very fresh as well, which you can tell by the colour of the pork. The meat in many other restaurants turns me off because of the frozen taste given off due to the length of time it has been sitting in the freezer. Be careful while eating this; my cousin squirted the soup on me twice while eating it...

Overall, I enjoyed this dinner. Except the fact that my cousin made a mess on me while eating. I would not say Shanghai Wonderful is the best in town, but it is in my top 5 for its quality and price. It has yet to disappoint me with its flavours. It will continue to be part of my go-to Shanghai restaurant list.

Location: In the corner of Lansdowne Road and Cooney Road. It is behind Lansdowne Mall, a block from No. 3 Road. A 5-minute walk from the skytrain station. It has a small lot, so it may be difficult to find parking when it gets busy.

Food: A good, solid Shanghai restaurant.
Service: Standard efficiency.
Price: The total came to $45 with tax for three people.
Recommended? Yes.

- Hippo


Shanghai Wonderful Restaurant 旺
8380 Lansdowne Road
Richmond, B.C.
Phone: 604-278-8829

Shanghai Wonderful Restaurant 旺 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment