Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mega Sushi

Another rainy, lazy Sunday for me. Meko and I had great intentions to spend the afternoon at the Home and Garden Show, but the rain deterred me from downtown. Instead, we headed to Point Roberts to pick up a package. And since we are in the Tsawwassen/Delta area, I recall a Japanese restaurant I really wanted to try - Maguro Sushi. When we got there, we found out they were closed on Sundays. Although slightly disappointed, I thought of Plan B - Mega Sushi. I have always wanted to bring Meko to this Japanese restaurant in Steveston, so this is finally my chance!

For those who do not live in the Steveston area, you may never come across Mega Sushi, as it is tucked away in the residential part of Steveson. Their clientele is definitely catered towards the Steveston neighbourhood. They have as many take outs as there are people dining in.

Green Tea: I love the strong rice flavour.
Very cute with the heavy teapot and mini tea cups.

Toro Sashimi: 6 pieces ($9.95)
Meko was disappointed. It was above average portion, but a poor cut of the toro. We knew the price was too good to be true. Not recommended.

Canucks Roll: avocado, cucumber, crab meat in a roll with torched salmon with three sauces and fish flakes ($10.95)
Very scrumptious. Generous portion. The salmon they used is actually wild salmon and is torched to perfection. Flavour was amazingly delicious - great job at the combination of stuffings and toppings. Recommended by Hippo!

Dragon Roll: avocado, cucumber, crab meat in a roll with whole grilled BBQ eel ($14.95)
This is one of the best dragon rolls I have had. Did you know Hippo considers herself a "Dragon Roll / Caterpillar Roll" connoisseur? I travel everywhere in search of the perfect dragon roll!! Anyways, this roll was awesome. When they said a whole grilled BBQ eel, they weren't joking. They did not cheap out on the unagi (BBQ eel) at all. Not only was it a thick piece, the flavour and quality of the unagi was superb! Only thing I want to change is that I prefer more avocado in the roll; but other than that, this is rank pretty high on my specialty roll list. Recommended by Hippo!

Spicy Tuna Roll ($3.95)
Their specialty rolls completely outshined their regular rolls. This was actually good. Large pieces of fresh tuna, drizzled with spicy sauce and spicy mayo. Although, I rather fill my belly with the specialty rolls first.

Interior of Mega Sushi
Overall, I was really impressed with both specialty rolls that we ordered. If I lived closer, I will definitely be back more often. Nonetheless, I will drive out there just to enjoy the amazing rolls again, and of course, to enjoy the scenic Steveston village. Mega Sushi is highly recommended by Hippo!

Location: On the corner of Chatham Street and Sixth Avenue. Best way to get here is to head south on No. 1 Road, right on Chatham Street, and continuing driving down past the business area and towards the residential area. There are 5 parking spots at the front and 7 parking spots at the side. You can always park on the street. They are closed Mondays. Side note: Mega Sushi Richmond and Mega Sushi Coquitlam has different owners. Hence, they are actually different.

Sock Monkey in their ladies washroom!

Food: Mega Sushi has a excellent value, but not the cheapest. Their specialty rolls are a must try.
Service: Standard.
Price: The total came to $45 with tax for two people.
Recommended? I love this place.

- Hippo


Mega Sushi Richmond
#100 - 3131 Chatham Street
Richmond, B.C.
Phone: 604-447-0773

Mega Sushi on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment